Over sixty million passwords of 29 million people on over 100 websites were studied and bad habits identified :-
- Overuse of same password.
- "Password Walking" - using neighbouring or alternate keystrokes.
- Passwords related to personal data.
- Using names of brands, personalities, sports teams, movies, music, or TV shows.
- Using "password" - the second most used password.
The National Agency for Information Systems Security recommends passwords of 12 characters of different type (upper/lower case, numbers, special characters) with no personal connection.
Also, use different passwords for each site to avoid the risk of serial piracy and do not store passwords in a file.
100 words, 670 characters